Thursday, February 5, 2009

Only when it is over

As stated in a previous post, I will be unemployed at the end of August. That may not be actually true. I could have another job by then.

In preparation for the day that my role as camp director comes to an end, I am forced start thinking about how it will end. I firmly believe that camp will be great this summer. Although, camp is great every summer. The major difference is that this will be our last. Yet, it is still camp. Our campers deserve camp. Our staff deserve camp.

I feel like we should let the members of our camp community know that this will be our last summer. I feel that it is important for them to search their feelings and memories for anything from camp. They may or may not have a connect to camp. It doesn't mean they should not be told. Now, my boss feels that this may turn people off from coming to camp. Also, he states "What about the people that don't care about the camp community? Why should we tell them?" I don't know those people but I am sure they exist. I am also sure that there are people, former campers, that care about the community and may not have heard the news yet. He wants to wait until campers have arrived at camp to tell them. I am not a big fan of this plan.

I love camp and I love what camp gives to campers and staff. We form a community for 10 weeks every summer. Good or no so good summers are still our summers to remember, laugh, cry, and enjoy for years to come. By not being allowed to share this important piece of information with past campers, I feel like I am holding back from a community that I love. If the other two departments can share this news, why can't I?

Phew. I wanted to get that off my chest.

This transition from camp to no camp is going to be difficult. I don't have all the answers for camp or myself. I promise that I will always to true to myself and fight to be true to camp.

Peace.

2 comments:

  1. Doug! It's the Grim Reaper, come to kill! Naw, just kidding. It's me, Zack. You know. You...do know, right?! No! You don't? How could you not! *grovels* I'm Kate's nephew! Yeah, THAT kid! (I'm following you as Sarah and Family)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer camp was the most meaningful part of my life from age 9-19. I was a camper, CIT, Counselor, Unit Leader, Program Director (Dietician and Business Mgr.), and Ass't camp director my last year. I loved it all. I was free not only for the ten week season, but also for pre- and post-camp activities which meant weekends from Easter until mid-October with various groups. I don't envy you having to leave the camp or camp life; that would have made me very sad if my departure hadn't been voluntary. I also don't envy you your job search in this wretched economic environment. Let me know if I can help in any way! Mark

    ReplyDelete